I love a healthy snack and quite recently , I have been trying to remove as much processed food from my diet. I have also cut out many imported fruit and vegetables and now usually eat what’s in season at my local farmer’s market.
This week after some searching I found this recipe for Baba Ganoush. Luckily eggplants are still in season so I picked up a few, modified the recipe, and enjoyed this yummy, creamy snack with warm homemade pita bread.
2 pounds eggplant
3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup tahini
3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Adjust rack to 6 inches below broiler element and preheat broiler to high. Place eggplant on directly on the oven shelf. Broil on high, turning every 15 minutes, until charred on all sides and completely tender, about 45 minutes. Let the eggplants cool.
2. Cut the eggplant lengthwise and scoop out the soft flesh with a large spoon.
3. Add eggplant to blender. Add lemon juice, tahini and garlic and use the chop option and ensure that it blends until smooth.
4. Remove from blender. Add salt and mix.
5. Place in serving bowl. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and top sprinkle chopped parsley leaves.
6. Serve with carrot sticks and fresh pita bread.
I thoroughly enjoyed Baba Ganoush almost more than hummus. 😆😆 Have you tried both? Which do you prefer?