While scrolling through the list of national dishes I came across Argentina’s meaty Milanesa Napolitana: Steak, ham and cheese. 😍😍 This really caught my attention and I thought it would make a nice change and so added it to this week’s menu. Based on the ingredients alone, a meal definitely doesn’t get much better than this. 😋
In addition to beef, milanesa can also be made with veal, chicken, pork or eggplant. It is seasoned, breaded, fried or fried and then baked and topped with tomato sauce, ham and mozzarella cheese.
Argentina’s milanesa is a variation of the Italian milanesa. The milanesa was brought to the Southern Cone by immigrants during the mass emigration called the Italian diaspora between 1860-1920s.* ( Source: Wikipedia)
My guests and I really enjoyed this meal. The milanesa was full of flavour and tender.
Here’s my recipe:
4 steaks ( I used eye of round steaks)
1/2 cup parsley
3 tablespoons coconut milk
2 cloves garlic (dices)
2 cups of Breadcrumbs ( enough to coat steaks well)
8 tablepsoons of homemade tomato sauce ( Fell free to also use store bought)
4 slices of deli ham
8 slices of mozzarella cheese
Fresh ground black pepper
Sunflower oil ( for frying)
1. Pound the steaks to just under 1/4-inch.
2. Combine eggs, parsley, milk and garlic together. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
3. Leave the steaks soaking in the mixture for a minimum of 30 minutes. I soaked my steaks for 6 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
5. Coat the steaks evenly with the breadcrumbs by placing them one by one into the crumbs, turning and pressing firmly until they are well covered.
6. In a cast iron grill pan add a shallow layer of sunflower oil. Heat on a medium heat. Then add steaks and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
7. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce, a piece of ham, if using, and 2 pieces of cheese. Sprinkle with oregano.
8. The cheese should melt in 3-5 minutes and the Milanesa should be completely cooked. (test to confirm)
9. Remove from oven. Great with fries or mash.
Disfruten de su comida!!