Who wants to spend their summer days toiling over a hot stove? I definitely don’t. My kitchen gets unbearably hot in the summer and so I am always looking for recipes to cut my kitchen time in half.
Breadfruit is very popular among locals and is a versatile staple which can be mashed, fried, roasted or pickled.
Today’s Breadfruit and Saltfish pie is quick, tasty, finishes in the oven and best of all it can serve two persons for almost 5 days. Don’t worry you won’t get bored of this delish dish. Believe me when I say it tastes better and better every day it’s stored in the fridge.
1 large breadfruit (3 lbs)
1.5 lbs saltfish
1.5 cups coconut milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup grated gouda cheese
3 tbsps butter
3 tbsps cassava flour
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic
1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
1 tbsp ground turmeric
2 tbsps fresh parsley
1 tsp of fresh thyme
2 scotch bonnet pepper
3 large tomatoes
3 large sweet peppers
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Peel and slice the breadfruit. Discard the spongy centre. Place the breadfruit in a large pot of water and boil for 15-20 minutes until it is cooked. Set aside to cool.
3. Debone and deskin saltfish, place in a large pot of water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain water to remove excess salt. Add fresh water and boil for another 5 minutes.
4. Remove fish and flake into bite-size pieces.
5. Melt the butter on a low heat. Add the flour, whisking continuously for three to five minutes. Then add the coconut milk, the cheddar cheese, chopped parsley, thyme, scotch bonnet and turmeric, stirring for five minutes.
6. Add 2 tbsps of sunflower oil to pan. Allow to heat then add chopped onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté for two minutes. Remove.
7. In the same pan add saltfish and sauté for five minutes. Re-add the onions, garlic and ginger and stir for a minute or two.
8. Slice breadfruit into wedges.
9. Using an oven ready dish add a layer of breadfruit, a layer of saltfish mix, a layer of sliced tomatoes and sweet peppers and finally a layer of cheese sauce. Repeat these layers until all of the ingredients are used.
10. Sprinkle the top of the pie with the grated gouda cheese.
11. Place dish in oven and bake for 35 minutes.
12. Increase temperature to 475°F for 5 minutes to finish the top of the pie.
13. Remove, allow to cool for five minutes and then serve with a green salad.